Choosing a Chandelier – How to Pick the Correct Size
There was a time when chandeliers were either carefully centered over the formal dining room table or reserved for the entry foyer of a grand mansion. Today, chandeliers are found in a wide variety of new locations in modern homes. From master bathrooms to bedrooms, chandeliers are providing a luxury touch throughout the home.
The effect of a chandelier in décor depends entirely on choosing not only the correct style, but the proper size as well. Chosen well, a chandelier can add a sophistication and elegance to any space.
Once you’ve decided on the style of chandelier, it’s time to choose the correct size. The most important element is the size of the room.
With the popularity of the home remodeling shows, home owners across the country are anxious to take out their tool box and remodel their home too. Most often, remodels are better suited to professionals however, and this can cost significantly more. Regardless of the method, remodeling projects are not inexpensive, so making the best impact for the cost is important. Here are the top 5 rooms to remodel.
1. Kitchen – Always a great return on investment. From functional spaces to bona find living areas, add extra seating, lighting and entertaining spaces such as a bar or counter.
2. Backyard Kitchen/Family Room – The backyard is an extension of the interior. Section off areas for an outdoor kitchen and family room. Add a fireplace or...
Thanksgiving is the start of the holiday season. While the standard pumpkins and scented candles are a nice touch, there are so many other options for decorating a home for Thanksgiving. Consider these interesting and unusual touches to bring a fall feel to your home.
- Colorful Leaves – In most parts of the country, there are piles of fall leaves in the front yard. In Florida we have to seek them out however you can find them in select stores. There are a huge variety of uses for these bright leaves. Gather some to use on the dining room table, inside candle hurricanes or scatter along the mantle.
- Natural Elements – Decorations don’t need to be so obvious. Consider using driftwood, acorns and pinecones to add a fall flavor...
How to Make a Small Bathroom Look Bigger....Here's the 10 Simple Ways
Small bathrooms don’t have to be dark and dank. Contrary to popular belief,
making a small bathroom appear larger is not as hard as it seems. Here are 10
easy ways to quickly make a small bathroom look bigger.
1. Mirrors – Add larger mirrors to reflect light and provide the illusion of
2. Lighten Up – Lighting doesn’t have to be harsh, but adequate lighting is a
3. Remove Barriers – Open up the room with clear glass shower doors or
4. Monotone Decorating – Use the same light colors on walls, countertops,
floors and cabinetry to allow for the eyes to flow through the space.
5. Negative Space...
How to Survive a Remodel While Living in the Home
Certainly the best way to live through a home remodel is to pack up and head to a beach house in Hawaii. Unfortunately, most people aren’t able to do that and must try to balance the construction crew and dust while also living in the home. Fortunately, there are a few survival tips that can help you live through the chaos.
Make boundaries right up front and make sure everyone is aware of the rules.
Limit access to parts of the home not included in the construction and set a
schedule for start and stop times. Get a collection of “do not disturb” signs for use around the home to ensure you have private spaces and times.
Boundaries should also include times set aside to discuss the project with the
General Contractor, tradesmen and project managers. Make yourself available...
How to Design an Amazing Outdoor Space
Great weather in Florida lasts almost year round so having an outdoor space is a real plus. Designing an outdoor space that you’ll look forward to spending time in doesn’t necessarily mean breaking the bank. The essential elements for a beautiful outdoor area are the same at any price point. Many buyers make a great patio or pool area as a popular feature that they want in their new home.
Define the Living Area
Regardless of the size of your space, define the living area through the use of patios, decks and/or furniture. Plan how you will use your outdoor area so you utilize the space the best way you can. An outdoor rug and outdoor furniture will allow you to have a bonus living space. During the cooler months from November to April, dining outdoors is very popular.
Tricks to Stage Your Home For Less
If you are ready to put your home on the market, you already know that how it looks can make a significant difference in the sales price. If you are on a budget and don’t want to hire a professional stager, there are still some changes you can make which will create a big impact.
- Declutter; pack up extra “everything.” Remove anything you don’t absolutely need from every room, closet and cupboard. A cluttered closet looks small and uninviting.
- Replace curtains, bedding and towels with light neutral colors to make the room look larger and bright
- Paint a room or two with modern colors
- Store furniture to make the room look larger
- Stage the kitchen with wine and fruit. Skip the fake table setting and create an image of an intimate meal...
5 Most Popular Paint Colors in 2018
The easiest way to modernize a room or home is with paint; color can provide a subtle backdrop or steal the show. From soft neutrals to vivid brights, here are the 5 most exciting new colors for 2018.
1. Charcoals – While the soft neutral grays and taupe of the past few years still enjoyspopularity, today’s grays are becoming bolder. Lush earthy grays and even darker charcoal are popping up in designs for 2018.
2. Blues – Always a popular color for paint, modern blues include soft elements of gray and brown, adding dimension.
3. Sage – Another color which incorporates gray tones of contemporary style is sage. Far from the old avocado of the 70s, sage is a delicate neutral which serves as a great backdrop for today’s home.
4. Brights –...