How To Maintain Your Home
How To Maintain Your Home
Welcome to the joy of homeownership. There are so many reasons to buy a home however it can be a shock when someone becomes a homeowner after renting. Remember when things broke as a renter? You picked up the phone and someone else had to deal with it. Now you are in control. Owning a home comes with responsibilities as well to make sure not only for the physical appearance but also for your home value. Maintaining the home in proper condition is critical to avoid larger problems later.
While some people are handier than others, here are 5 easy maintenance skills anyone can do.
- How to Turn off Your Gas and Water – A great step in emergency preparedness is to know where your shut-off valves are for your water and on how to turn them off. Always make sure to have a tool ready near the water valve. So when an emergency happens, you are ready. If you smell gas in your home, this can be dangerous so taking quick action to turn it off and wait for a professional for everyone's safety.
- Understanding Electricity and Your Home – Routine inspections help to maintain your home’s electrical safety. Outlets that are warm, discolored, or making crackling sound should be inspected. Also, know where your circuit breaker is located so you can turn off the electricity on your home in case of an emergency.
- How to Find a Wall Stud – Wall Studs are vertical 2x4 inch beams that make up the frame of your house. Studs are part of every structural feature in your home. Locating studs will ensure that if you wanted to hang an object, it will remain securely mounted on the wall. But sometimes, they are difficult to find. In finding wall studs, you can either use a Stud Finder or magnetic stud finder (cheaper option), which uses a small magnet to detect nails and screws. Another option is to use Command Strips.
- How to Change Your Air Filters – Changing your air filters is the easiest way to maximize the efficiency of your cooling system. It also helps purify your home's air. To change your air filter, you need to make sure that your HVAC unit is off. It is recommended that you change your air filter in your home every 30 days. Pick a day of the month where you do this as time flies.
- How to Address Simple Plumbing – Understanding the problems and doing preventive maintenance can help you avoid plumbing problems in the future. The first step in doing plumbing maintenance is to understand everything that is included in your water system. You should always check for leaking faucets and showerheads, all exposed pipes and appliances for water leaks, etc. Always check the water pressure to make sure it is on the safe level.
A quick visit to the local home supply store or afternoon online watching repair videos can help any homeowner tackle a few simple do-it-yourself tasks. Learning these simple maintenance skills helps you make sure your home is safe, make sure your home is in top condition, and protect your home's equity.